With the hope that more lives will be spared across the state, several South Carolina residents have joined the fight against texting and driving, pushing for stricter laws and fines that are enforceable. Perhaps a greater awareness of the consequences associated with texting and driving is necessary. For the 6 million young people at “DoSomething” that are striving to make a positive change, there are a few sobering facts that we all need to learn.
- The minimal amount of attention that a driver takes away from the road when receiving a text is 5 seconds. As an example, consider someone who is traveling at 55 mph. This equals driving the length of a football field without looking up at the road.
- Texting makes a car crash up to 23 times more likely.
- Teens who text while driving spend approximately 10% of the time outside of their lane.
- A survey taken by AT&T reports that while 97% of teens agree that texting while driving is dangerous, 43% do it anyway.
- Up to 19% of drivers (all ages) have admitted to surfing the web while driving.
- 40% of teens claim that they have been in a car when the driver used a cell phone.
- According to the latest National Occupant Protection Use Survey, women are more likely than men to reach for their cell phones while driving.
- 9 out of 10 teens expect a reply to a text or email within 5 minutes or less, adding pressure to others to respond while they are driving.
Though it may seem that teens are the targeted age group for texting and driving, it’s important to note that while adults tell teens not to text and drive, adults continue to do so themselves. Regardless of age, when a South Carolina driver chooses to text while driving, he or she is engaging in behavior that could lead to a serious injury or death.
Call The Taylor Anderson Law Firm Today!
If you or a family member has been seriously hurt or killed by a distracted driver using their phone to text, the Taylor Anderson Law Firm welcomes your call today. Given all of the facts pertaining to your case, Attorney Taylor Anderson brings invaluable insight and effective representation to clients throughout Charleston, West Ashley and James Island.
Posted on behalf of Taylor Anderson Law Firm